VIDEO of painting the background using Salt: youtu.be/UAA32cgB3vY VIDEO of painting the yellow petals: youtu.be/7ry4SHmWivU
A painting of a Dahlia flower at Biddulph Grange Gardens, in Staffordshire.
I painted it from a photo reference of mine, using Aquamarkers. Even though i was looking forward to doing a much warmer palette of colours, the background was dark and lacking any detail. So i decided to use some salt on the background, to add a mottled texture and to make it more fun to look at. I think i overdid it with the salt but it still looks quite exciting.
The flower went better than i could have hoped. I did it in 2 stages, a yellow wash on each of the petals and then more yellow, red and brown put on 'wet-on-dry'. I'm really pleased with the shadow areas on the petals, which are dark but still with definition and I love how the highlights turned out!
Background: 'Bitterwood' and 'Mahogany' aquamarkers
Petals: 'Gold Ochre', 'Flame Red', 'Raspberry' & 'Bitterwood' Read my STEP-BY-STEP Blogs: create the background letrasetblog.com/tutorials/how… and How to paint the flower letrasetblog.com/tutorials/how… And for GREETING CARDS and PRINTS of this design: www.redbubble.com/people/gee35…
Letraset Aquamarkers and Salt on 250-300gsm A4 paper.